Vision: Everyone in Washtenaw County has access to the food needed for a healthy life.
Mission: To influence policy change and engage stakeholders so that everyone in Washtenaw County has access to the food needed for a healthy life.
Meetings: All meetings are open to the public, and we are always looking for new people to join our Policy Action Team. Please join us! Meeting times and locations are posted here.
Most meeting are held at the Washtenaw County Learning Resource Center (LRC), Meeting Room Huron, 4135 Washtenaw Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48108. The LRC is barrier-free and on AAATA bus routes, 4A, 4B, 7, 22.
- Advocate for policy and program changes
- Collaborate with and educate stakeholders
- Research best practices
- Monitor implementation of and changes to existing policies
- Ensure the preservation of funding, and advocate to reduce barriers to participating in food assistance programs. (Policy Agenda Item #8)
- Recommend and support that institutions within the county establish policies and implement environmental and organizational changes that ensure availability of safe drinking water and increase the availability, affordability, and sensory appeal of nutritious, and when possible, local and sustainable, food. (Policy Agenda Item #13)
- Encourage municipal planning offices to consider food access in transportation decision making, while encouraging transportation providers to provide coordinated and connected transportation to food access sites (including, but not limited to, grocery stores, farmers markets, and food pantries etc.). (Policy Agenda Item #15)
- Advocate school boards’ adoption of policies and practices that increase participation in and utilization of school nutrition programs. (Policy Agenda Item #22)