Issues & Goals
The Food Waste & Packaging Policy Action Team is:
- defining the most appropriate policy and advocacy actions to complement actions carried out at national and local level;
- consulting stakeholders and experts to identify opportunities at all levels of the food chain to minimize food waste without compromising food safety;
- and developing policy and educational campaigns around food waste prevention and food waste recovery systems from businesses, institutions, residents and agencies.
Meeting times and locations are posted here.
Next Meeting: Monday, April 17, 2017 from 3:30pm-5:00pm at the Washtenaw County Administration Building, Lower Conference Room, 200 N. Main St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104
The Food Waste & Packaging Policy Action Team is focusing on the following initiatives:
- Food donations (to people and animals)
- Food waste prevention education
- Zero waste events
- Residential bi-weekly trash pick up/weekly compost pick up (with necessary infrastructure for composting)
- Waste-free school lunches
- Take-out containers (reusable, compostable, recyclable food containers)
- Single Use Plastic Bag Presentation, Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners Working Session – Oct. 8, 2015
County Green Room shows influenced by the Food Waste & Packaging Policy Action Team